May 01, 2013

Federal Programs for Fire and Post-Fire Family & Business Assistance


Federal Fire Assistance Guide


Emergency Preparation
Emergency Preparedness Tips:
FEMA outlines the steps families can take to be informed and prepared for natural disasters.

Outdoor Safety Tips:
The Forest Service provides tips for campfire safety, debris control, and outdoor equipment safety.

Home Safety Tips:
The Forest Service provides tips for keeping homes in the wildland-urban interface safe from wildfires.

A multi-agency program that helps homeowners and community leaders prevent wildland fire.

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP):
Federally backed flood insurance is available through NFIP to homeowners, renters, and businesses.
(888) 379-9531 or 1-800-427-2419

Additional FEMA Assistance:
Funding for disaster-related temporary housing, home repair, medical costs, and household item replacement. FEMA also provides crisis counseling, unemployment assistance, legal and tax assistance.

Small Business Administration (SBA)

Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs):
Free one-on-one advice on business-related issues, including disaster recovery and preparedness.
(505) 428-1362; 1-800-281-7232

Home Disaster Loans:
Low-interest loans for homeowners to repair/ replace primary residences and belongings (clothes, vehicles).

Business Physical Disaster Loans:
Low-interest loans for businesses or non-profit organizations to repair or replace damaged assets.

Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL):
Loans for small businesses, non-profits, and small agricultural cooperatives that suffer disaster losses.

USDA Rural Development (USDA RD)
In NM: (505)761-4950

Single Family Home Ownership Direct Repair Loans and Grants:
Funding for low-income homeowners to repair/improve their homes to remove health/safety hazards.

Farm Service Agency (FSA)
FSA State Office at 1-800-410-2067

Emergency Loan Program (ELP):
Loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to natural disasters.

Disaster Debt Set-Aside Program:
Creates payment flexibility for producers who have existing direct loans with FSA.

The Livestock Forage Disaster Assistance Program (LFP):
Cash payments to producers who suffered grazing losses because of drought and fire.

The Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm- Raised Fish Program (ELAP):
Assistance for grazing losses due to blizzards and wildfires, including assistance for feed loss.

Emergency Conservation Program (ECP):
Emergency funding and assistance for producers to rehabilitate land damaged by natural disasters.

The Noninsured Disaster Assistance Program (NAP):
Assistance for crop losses where federal crop insurance is not available. Enrollment required.

The Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE):
Assistance to producers with crop losses in counties declared a disaster by the Secretary of Agriculture.

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
In NM: (505) 761-4400 or toll free: 1-800-410-2067

Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program:
Technical assistance for debris removal and erosion control on land impacted by natural disaster.