One of my duties as United States Senator is nominating outstanding young people from New Mexico to our nation's military service academies. The President of the United States, the Vice President, Members of Congress, and other agencies and organizations have the authority to nominate individuals to a military service academy, and I have put together the following information for high school students or recent graduates who want to dedicate their talents and leadership in service to our country. Please remember that in addition to applying for a nomination with my office, you must also apply with the service academy that you wish to be selected for admission at.
If you have a question about a specific academy, please contact the academy's admissions office directly. In addition to applying for a nomination, all applicants must apply directly to the service academies. You can find out more about our great military academies at the following links:
- United States Military Academy
- United States Air Force Academy
- United States Naval Academy
- United States Merchant Marines
- United States Coast Guard Academy
Service Academy Nominations Application
More information about the nominations process for the class of 2019 will be available at this page in April 2014. In the meantime, please refer to these frequently asked questions (FAQ) to better help you understand the application and nomination process.
Click here to download my FAQ document to learn more about the application process.
In order to apply for a nomination with my office, you will be required to complete and submit the following:
(1) Online Questionnaire and Essay
(2) Two Letters of Recommendation*
(3) A Counselor Evaluation form
(4) Official Academic Transcripts
(5) ACT and/or SAT Scores
*It is recommended that one of your letters be from an academic source and the other from a non-academic source. All letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically from the authors to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please remember that in addition to applying for a nomination with my office, you must also apply with the service academy that you wish to be selected for admission at.
Tentative 2014 Dates for Service Academy Nominations
- April 8, 2014 - Application Process Opens
- October 10, 2014 - Application Process Closes
- November 8, 2014 - Interview Day in Albuquerque (all candidates that submit a complete application packet by the October 10 deadline will be invited to interview)